Verrill Farm Blog »
Call Verrill Farm
Strawberry Rhubarb Crostata
Crostatas are an easy, versatile dessert. Just mix 5 cups of your favorite seasonal fruits (keep it to 3 fruits for the best results) for this free form pie.
Pie Dough - enough for 3 pie or crostata shells
2 1/4 c all purpose flour
1/4 c sugar
1/2 tsp salt
8 oz cold butter, cut into cubes
1/4 c cold water
Strawberry Rhubarb Filling for 1 Crostata
- Put dry ingredients into the bowl of a food processor and mix to blend.
- Add the cubed butter and pulse until the butter is broken up and the mixture is crumbly. Do not over mix.
- Add the water through the feed tube and mix until the dough starts to form a ball.
- Turn out onto a piece of plastic wrap, form into a log and wrap.
- Chill the dough until needed or freeze in 3 sections.
3 1/2 c rhubarb cut in 1" pieces
1 1/2 c strawberries, cut up
1/2 c sugar
1/8 tsp orange zest
2 Tbs corn starch
- Roll dough into 14" round & transfer to a sheet pan covered with parchment paper.
- Place fruit in center of dough leaving 2" - 3" border.
- Fold dough up and over fruit, pleating as necessary.
- Brush dough with an egg wash (1 egg mixed with 1 Tbs of water).
- Cook 40 minutes at 375° F
- Let Crostata cool and then refrigerate before removing from parchment.
« Return to the Recipes Index
OPEN DAILY – COME VISIT US!
9:00 AM - 7:00 PM
(5:00 PM Sundays January, February)
Closed on some holidays