Verrill Farm Blog »
Call Verrill Farm
Verrill Farm Shepherd's Pie|
Yield: 9 servings
You can watch a video of Chef Kevin Carey making this delicious dish here.
- 2 tbsp vegetable Oil
- 1 lb Verrill Farm ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups onions in small dice
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp dry oregano
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 cups fresh plum tomatoes in medium dice, seeds removed
- 2 cups ground peeled tomatoes
- 1 1/2 lbs Russet or Yukon potatoes
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel potatoes and cut in 2-inch cubes. Place potatoes in pot, cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Cook until tender.
- Heat vegetable oil in a 1-2 gallon pot over medium high heat. Add ground beef. Stir occasionally, breaking up large pieces of beef. Cook until beef is almost cooked through.
- Add onions and cook additional 4-5 minutes, add garlic, spices and corn and cook 2-3 minutes. Add ground and diced tomatoes and cook 5-7 minutes longer.
- Drain potatoes; add butter, milk and seasonings. Mash until smooth.
- In a 9 x 11 pan add half the potatoes and spread evenly to create a bottom layer. Add beef filling and top with remaining potatoes. Spread evenly and top with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes on middle rack, until cheese turns golden brown. Rotate the pan once part way through cooking.
« Return to the Recipes Index
OPEN DAILY – COME VISIT US!
9:00 AM - 7:00 PM
(5:00 PM Sundays January, February)
Closed on some holidays