Verrill Farm Blog »
Call Verrill Farm
- 22 Green tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 6 green peppers
- 6 red peppers
- 6 cups cider vinegar
- 3 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup canning/pickling salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 4 tsp. celery seed
- 1/2 cup mustard seeds
Suggested uses: a good all-around relish, especially on hot dogs & hamburgers.
- Wash vegetables, core tomatoes, remove seeds, membranes and stems from peppers.
- Put vegetables through food processor or chop in blender.
- Place vegetables in 8 qt. pot, add 4 cups vinegar, and boil uncovered, stirring frequently for 30 minutes.
- Drain and discard liquid.
- Return vegetables to kettle, add remaining 2 cups of vinegar, sugar, salt, and spices. Bring to a boil and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Ladle into 8 hot, clean canning jars, filling to within 1/2 inch of the jar top. Wipe jar top, place lid on and screw band tightly - but not overly so.
- Process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes. Start to count processing time when water in the canner returns to boiling. Water must be over the tops of the jars by at least an inch.
- Remove jars and cool on rack or towel. Makes 7 or 8 pints.
« Return to the Recipes Index
OPEN DAILY – COME VISIT US!
9:00 AM - 7:00 PM
(5:00 PM Sundays January, February)
Closed on some holidays